Success, Following on from my last post about my first time processing black and white film at home on a budget I managed to find a decent photo scanner on eBay so now the process has been completed. From shooting to developing to scanning, the results are here, and I am pretty stoked. These pictures cover a strange range of subjects and destinations as this roll was sat in my bronica for a good few months whilst I was shooting with other cameras.
The scanner I decided on was an Epson perfection v600 which ticked all the boxes for me, it scanned up to medium format, with high quailty and not a huge price tag. I will try and write a small review after I have used it for some time. It worked really well straight out of the box and I’m looking forward to using this as part of my process.
– Lets get this started, These first two shots were taken whilst on a break at work of my friends pride and joy. Its a pretty impressive machine, that much is clear to even me who knows very little about motorbikes, but it made some nice pictures. These were taken in mid day sun so I used the high walls of the car park to provide some softer light. –
– Where to start with this next shot, well it was taken shortly after the bike shoot. I made a error with my exposure but it gets the best of us…. I hope. The epson managed to make a usable scan and this hasn’t had any adjustments made in photoshop as it ended up making a quite nice moody scene. A happy accident –
– This portrait was made in a mates back garden, Someone had the wise idea of painting faces and taking pictures… –
– These nest few images were all taken on one day during a pretty epic surf trip in cornwall. We had decided to go for a walk along a bit of coastline none of us had explored before and shoot some landscapes, the weather had a different idea. Huge storm swells made for a very dramatic coastal setting but so much spray was being kicked up into the air that it was almost impossible to keep a lens dry, hence the rather hazy and water spotty set of images. Even despite how difficult it was to shoot I was happy with the results, all these images had a strong vintage film feel to them. –
– This photo should have an explanation. Rhys (pictures right) didn’t trust tony sitting on the edge of a wet and windy cliff, but did put his trust in that camera bag strap to save him… –
– This next image was yet another accident, but not so happy. There appears to have been a mishap with the film advance and its almost taken a double exposure over what i think would have been quite a nice picture, but there are also a lot of double exposure lovers out there, so let me know what you think! –
– So overall im really happy with the results of my first develop and scanning at home and its shown me that its easy to do and gives me more flexibility when i shoot film. I hope to develop another roll soon that has just come out of a 1950s Agfa billy camera, so I’m keen to see how that performed and to check out the 6×9 negatives. If you like what you’ve seen here follow the blog or drop a comment below! Thanks for reading –
Tags: black and white, bronica, cornwall, develop, film, fort, landscape, urban